ISA honors industry leaders as 2018 "Award of Distinction" recipients
CHAMPAIGN, Ill., US (August 6, 2018) – The International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), an international leader in research, education, and the promotion of professional tree care, recognized nine recipients for the 2018 Awards of Distinction.
The Awards of Distinction, sponsored by Bartlett Tree Experts, were presented during the opening ceremony on Sunday, August 5 at ISA's Annual International Conference in Columbus, Ohio, US.
- Bruce Fraedrich (Charlotte, North Carolina, United States) — Award of Merit
- Ken Palmer (Willington, Connecticut, United States) and Rip Tompkins (Little Compton, Rhode Island, United States) — Alex. L. Shigo Award for Excellence in Arboricultural Education
- Melinda Jones (Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States) — Sharon J. Lilly Award of Achievement
- Scott Baker (Seattle, Washington, United States) — Honorary Life Membership
- A. James Downer (Ventura, California, United States) — R.W. Harris Author’s Citation
- Richard Hauer (Stevens Point, Wisconsin, United States) — L.C. Chadwick Award for Arboricultural Research
- Samuel Ma (Hong Kong) — Millard F. Blair Exceptional Contribution to Practical Arboriculture Award
- Jessica Vogt (Chicago, Illinois, United States) — Early-Career Scientist Award
"The ISA Awards of Distinction offer the opportunity for us to recognize outstanding leaders in the arboriculture industry,” says Paul Ries, ISA board president. “These individuals have committed their careers to research and education to strengthen the knowledge and professionalism of arborists worldwide."
Award categories recognize candidates in such areas as research, education, and advancing the best practices of proper tree care in the industry. Some highlights of this group’s accomplishments include:
- Commitment to promoting professionalism and industry standards in pruning (Fraedrich)
- Co-founders of ArborMaster® training; providing industry training to thousands of arborists (Palmer and Tompkins)
- Focus on community tree planting and education through ReLeaf Michigan (Jones)
- Owner of Tree Solutions, which uses science-based approaches to tree care (Baker)
- Decades of arboriculture research resulting in nearly 500 peer-reviewed articles (Downer)
- Manages an undergraduate research symposium and has mentored countless urban forestry students (Hauer)
- Organized Hong Kong’s first tree climbing competition to help advance practical arboriculture in his country (Ma)
- Impacted the development of new urban forests in Denmark (Nielsen)
- Leads a research lab to show students how to manage urban forests through sustainability science (Vogt)
Robert Bartlett Jr., chairman and CEO of Bartlett Tree Experts added, “By recognizing individuals who have a positive impact on arboriculture, ISA helps provide role models and learning opportunities for all of us. We are proud to see our own Dr. Bruce Fraedrich recognized this year and applaud not only him, but all of the honorees for their contributions in research, education and mentoring.”
ISA serves more than 30,000 members and credential holders worldwide, and has been honoring members and industry professionals with the Awards of Distinction since 1963. The winners are selected by the ISA Awards Committee, a diverse group of experts in arboriculture, and are approved by ISA’s Board of Directors.
The International Society of Arboriculture (ISA), headquartered in Champaign, Ill., U.S., is a nonprofit organization supporting tree care research and education around the world. To promote the importance of arboriculture, ISA manages the consumer education web site, www.treesaregood.org, which fulfills the association’s mission to help educate the public about the importance and value of proper tree care. Also, as part of ISA’s dedication to the care and preservation of shade and ornamental trees, it offers the only internationally-recognized certification program in the industry. For more information on ISA and Certified Arborists, visit www.isa-arbor.com.
About Bartlett Tree Experts
The F.A. Bartlett Tree Expert Company was founded in 1907 by Francis A. Bartlett and is the world's leading scientific tree and shrub care company. The organization's current chairman, Robert A. Bartlett Jr., represents the third generation of Bartlett family management. Bartlett has locations in 27 U.S. states, Canada, Ireland and Great Britain. Services include pruning, pest and disease management, fertilization and soil care, cabling and bracing, tree lightning protection systems and tree/stump removal. Its corporate offices are located in Stamford, Connecticut.
For more information, contact: